Gilly's Kitchen Bench Oil Clear 250ml
- Repels water
- Food safe when dry
- Silicone free
- Australian made
A tung oil based finish designed for timber bench tops, tables and other surfaces in need of a hard wearing natural finish.
Kitchen Bench Oil contains natural oils such as tung oil which helps to seal timber and protect it from general wear. Importantly, it will also repel water. This makes it a great product for kitchen benches, laundry benches and bathroom benches that feature timber tops that may get exposed to water.
This oil contains no lacquer or silicon unlike many products on the market, which means easier maintenance for you and a beautiful natural finish. It will highlight the nuances of your selected timber and prolong its natural look.
Kitchen benches, bathroom & laundry benches, cabinetry, butcher blocks, dining tables, window frames
Ensure the surface is clean and dry before application. D-limonene (natural citrus solvent) or a turpentine can be used for a vigorous clean. For a lighter clean, you can use an all purpose cleaner.
If there is any oil, wax, grease, dirt or similar residue on the surface, it may affect the tung oils ability to cure - so a thorough clean is important.
How to Apply:
- Rub or brush oil into the timber. Lighter coats are better.
- On first coat, let it sit for 5 minutes after applying. Wipe on more oil to areas that become dull, as the oil soaks in.
- After 5 more minutes, wipe off any excess oil with another clean cloth and rub it back vigorously.
- Follow this procedure for each coat. Note: Some people prefer to wet sand between coats, however this is generally only for timber that is quite porous.
- Apply 3 coats. Best to wait 24 hours between coats. Apply more coats if desired or necessary.
- Hang out any rags or soak in water, rather than leaving scrunched up, as there is the potential for combustion.
24 hours to dry between coats. As this is tung oil based, it can take 4 weeks to completely cure. Light usage is however perfectly fine within this time.
This product is built from natural oils, in particular tung oil. This makes for a beautiful natural finish. If you do find the finish gets scratched or damaged, you can simply reapply following the same steps outlined above. There is no need to sand it back as you would have to do with lacquers, varnishes and silicon based products.
For general maintenance and wear, you can assess as you see fit. We would recommend reapplying a light 1-2 coats every 6-12 months to keep your timber looking fresh!
D-Limonene or mineral turpentine.
Ingredients: Natural oils & Solvents
|Country of Origin||Australia|